As the center for entrepreneurship in Bloomington, The Mill provides critical access, first and foremost to a community of peers and mentors, and secondly to capacity-building resources and startup capital. Our programs help accelerate innovative ideas and technologies into business concepts.
We began offering programming for startups and entrepreneurs in 2017. In November 2018, our membership-based coworking facility opened. Entrepreneurs, innovators, creatives, remote workers, techies, and others benefit from like-minded community, programming, and mentoring. With financial support from the City of Bloomington and the Redevelopment Commission for the building renovation and our launch, we have a stated goal of becoming self-sufficient by the end of year three.
Today, The Mill is 19,000 square feet of beautifully renovated, century-year-old factory space in the downtown Trades District. We are home to hundreds of members and dozens of companies. Our diverse members include innovators creating startups and small businesses as well as independent freelancers, creatives, and remote workers, for example. Some choose The Mill for our coworking amenities and the great community. Others join for specialized entrepreneurial support: for accelerating their startups, pitching to investors, and securing capital, for instance. We serve members, our thriving startup community, and the public at large.
The Mill would not be possible without the generous support of our cornerstone sponsors. See all sponsors here.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we have a standing policy of nondiscrimination at The Mill. We respect the unique and diverse perspectives of all employees. We accord all qualified persons an equal opportunity for employment or promotion without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status or condition protected by federal, state, or local law.
Venue & Booking Manager
The Mill is seeking an experienced venue manager to 1) lead all booking, invoicing, logistics, and customer service for external customers associated with The Mill’s rental spaces (Event Hall, Classroom, Conference Rooms) and 2) lead all event planning and logistics, including food and beverage, for internal events hosted by The Mill. This position reports to the Head of Operations.
The Mill is a nonprofit center for coworking, entrepreneurship, and events. Our historic building has small conference rooms, a bigger meeting room (the “Classroom”) for trainings and board meetings, and a large event hall that may be rented during business hours, evenings, and weekends for events such as wedding receptions, public meetings, parties, and more. Rental income is an important part of our economic sustainability plan. We also put on our own events as part of our mission to launch and accelerate startups and our vision to become the center of entrepreneurship for Indiana. The Venue & Booking Manager ensures that we meet our revenue goals for renting our space, that customers have a great experience working with us on their events, and that our own events run smoothly and seamlessly.
You are a detail-oriented, proactive communicator and proud of your behind-the-scenes mastery. You’re prepared for surprises and have built processes and checks to make sure everything goes off without a hitch. You’ve worked with caterers, corporate organizations, small businesses, party planners, bartenders, musicians, and more. You understand what questions to ask and what information to share to make sure everyone is on the same page. You know how to set and manage expectations. You’re warm and welcoming, patient and organized.
This position works Tuesday-Saturday, with some evening work required.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Venue Booking, 80%
- Manage all scheduling, contracting, billing, set up, and servicing of The Mill’s rental spaces for external customers from initial inquiry through event completion.
- Of this work, contracting and billing is 25%; communications and planning, 50%, logistics and support day of event, 25%
- Lead tours and respond to inquiries in a timely, professional manner
- Work with external customers to set expectations and communicate logistics with external vendors such as caterers and djs
- Create seating and table plans for customers, ensure space is set up correctly on time, and help customers access and use A/V and technology as needed. Note: The Mill facilitates needs, but does not provide event planning, to external customers.
- Coordinate supplemental on-site event contacts
- Create event space invoices in Honeybooks, modify as needed, and monitor payments from deposit through event completion
- Recommend pricing, policies, procedures, and marketing materials as needed
- Represent The Mill at the annual Bridal Show at the Convention Center
- Collaborate with the Facilities Manager, Head of Operations, and internal staff on event set up, decoration, breakdown, and cleaning needs
- Participate in staff rotation at the front desk for drop-in tours and member inquiries
Internal Event Planning & Support, 20%
- Work with internal staff to reserve space, recommend and order appropriate food and beverage within budget, set up space, run logistics, and break down after show for Mill events
- Work with internal staff to ensure events are successful and run smoothly. Run day-of-event logistics, ensure timely and accurate catering, assist guests, check technology, and so on.
- 2+ years professional experience managing an event venue, and/or scheduling, planning, and running events.
- Proficient in coordinating logistics with customers and vendors
- Experience contracting events and creating detailed invoices
- Comfortable using and learning software and online tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Service orientation and positive, friendly attitude
- Ability to lift up to 70lbs and perform duties calling for repetitive motion required on a regular basis, which may include bending, pushing, pulling, reaching, climbing, squatting, and lifting
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial organization
- Experience managing a wedding venue
- Experience planning events for internal customers
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Annual salary is $50,000 paid twice monthly via direct deposit
- 3 weeks of PTO in year 1, 4 weeks in year 2 and beyond
- Health, life, vision, and dental insurance
- 401(k) with company match after the first year of employment
- Use of company MacBook Pro
- Performance reviews twice annually
- Opportunity for raises twice annually
HOW TO APPLY
Upload a resume and a cover letter (optional). This is your chance to showcase your event experience and why you are a great fit for The Mill. Please include the following information in your cover letter:
- A short bio / introduction
- Why this position interests you
- What you hope to gain from your next career move
- How you learned about The Mill and the position
Applicant review is ongoing, with a preference for candidates who apply by January 15, 2023. Due to the expected number of applications, we cannot reply to every applicant. If you make it beyond the first round, though, you can expect regular communications from us. Thank you for your interest in The Mill. Best of luck!