As the center for entrepreneurship in Bloomington, The Mill provides critical access, first and foremost to a community of peers and mentors, and secondly to capacity-building resources and startup capital. Our programs help accelerate innovative ideas and technologies into business concepts.
We began offering programming for startups and entrepreneurs in 2017. In November 2018, our membership-based coworking facility opened. Entrepreneurs, innovators, creatives, remote workers, techies, and others benefit from like-minded community, programming, and mentoring. With financial support from the City of Bloomington and the Redevelopment Commission for the building renovation and our launch, we have a stated goal of becoming self-sufficient by the end of year three.
Today, The Mill is 19,000 square feet of beautifully renovated, century-year-old factory space in the downtown Trades District. We are home to hundreds of members and dozens of companies. Our diverse members include innovators creating startups and small businesses as well as independent freelancers, creatives, and remote workers, for example. Some choose The Mill for our coworking amenities and the great community. Others join for specialized entrepreneurial support: for accelerating their startups, pitching to investors, and securing capital, for instance. We serve members, our thriving startup community, and the public at large.
The Mill would not be possible without the generous support of our cornerstone sponsors. See all sponsors here.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we have a standing policy of nondiscrimination at The Mill. We respect the unique and diverse perspectives of all employees. We accord all qualified persons an equal opportunity for employment or promotion without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status or condition protected by federal, state, or local law.
The Mill is looking for an emerging marketing leader to join our team. If you’ve been working as a solo marketer or a marketing coordinator for a few years, and you’re ready to step up to a bigger role and deepen your marketing skills, we want to talk with you!
This is a new role, working closely with our Head of Operations and Marketing to develop and execute campaigns to support The Mill’s entrepreneurial programming and our coworking membership community. You’ll work out of a gorgeous, historic building in downtown Bloomington (with some flexibility for remote work). You’ll tell inspiring stories of innovative, creative people building Bloomington’s coolest startups, and you’ll nerd out with us over marketing techniques and marketing data.
You should bring a solid understanding of marketing principles, 2-3 years of professional marketing experience, and an interest in video and content marketing. You’re an expert, continuous learner who is not afraid to try something new, and you love playing a key role in supporting a team effort. You’re creative, you enjoy a fast pace, and you want to put your marketing powers to work for something more exciting than widgets.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Recurring tasks, 50%
- Lead social media production, scheduling, and posting
- Manage email, including 3 monthly newsletters and member communications
- Ensure timely launch and completion of marketing campaigns and pieces for Mill programs and membership across various platforms
- Follow marketing plans, visual branding, and messaging guidelines set by the Head of Operations & Marketing
- Collaborate on long-term marketing vision, strategy, and needs
Content creation, 40%
- Tell the story of The Mill and its members through engaging content marketing
- Plan, record, edit, share, and archive short video content
- Work with the Executive Director and Head of Operations & Marketing to record, edit, produce, and share high-quality podcast content
Web traffic, 10%
- Increase traffic to our websites, social followers, and list subscribers
- Monitor analytics across platforms and pivot as data indicate
- 2-3 years’ experience in a marketing role
- Professional experience creating, curating, and managing social media
- Experience or interest in learning to create video and podcast content
- Data-driven self-starter with a service orientation—our team has each other’s backs
- Comfortable working quickly and on multiple campaigns simultaneously
- Excellent communication skills and grammar
- Familiar with or willing to learn the programs we use regularly: Canva, Mailchimp, HootSuite, WordPress, Airtable
- Bonus: intermediate skills in InDesign/Adobe Creative Suite
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
- Salary of $50,000, paid twice monthly via direct deposit
- 3 weeks of PTO in year 1, 4 weeks in year 2 and beyond
- Health, life, vision, and dental insurance
- 401(k) with company match after the first year of employment
- Use of company MacBook Pro
- Performance reviews twice annually
- Opportunity for raises twice annually
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application here, please.
Applicant review is ongoing, with a preference for candidates who apply by September 2. Due to the expected number of applications, we cannot reply to every applicant. If you make it beyond the first round, though, you can expect regular communications from us. Thank you for your interest in The Mill. Best of luck!